You are here

Rubbish collection and recycling

Getting rid of rubbish

Veolia Environmental Services in Haringey collects rubbish and recycling  every week from our estates.

Find out what day your rubbish is collected (link to Veolia Environmental Services)

Bulky waste items - contact us

For any queries about the disposal of rubbish or to get rid of large items please email:, or call the Contact Centre on 020 8489 5611 who will get in touch with your local Estate Services Team Leader.  He or she will be able to make the necessary arrangements.

Recycling and Rubbish – guidance

Dry waste: glass bottles, plastic bottles, plastic pots, tubs, trays, bags and bottles and containers, paper, aluminium cans and cardboard can be recycled.  Please recycle as much as you can by putting recyclable materials into the recycling containers outside your block. Please rinse all empty food cans or food containers. Don’t put these items in plastic bin bags. If you do they won’t be recycled and  the presence of black bags or non recyclable waste in a recycling bin will  contaminate the bin and prevent the rest of the contents from being recycled.

Food waste: Recycle as much food waste as possible using the special compostable food caddy liners putting them in the food waste recycling containers outside the block. More liners can be obtained free of charge from your local library  or a customer service centre by showing the staff proof of your address. No other type of bag can be used for this type of recycling or the bin will be contaminated and prevent the rest of the contents from being recycled.

Non-recyclable rubbish

  • Only non-recyclable household waste should be put in black refuse bags and placed inside the large rubbish bins outside your block. Small bags can be put down the refuse chutes. All refuse bags must be untorn and properly tied up.

  • You can put items of kitchenware, crockery and small electrical appliances (including irons, kettles and so on) in black plastic bags for general waste collection. Another option is to take them to the Recycling Centre for free – please see the section about this below.

  • You must not leave general refuse bags anywhere except in the refuse bins or we will take action against you.

Bulky items

Most large bulky items can be disposed of at no charge but they must not just be left by the refuse bins.  Please speak to us or email us – see ‘Contact us’ above.  If you put out a large bulky item without our agreement then we will take action against you. Typical bulky items which Veolia (Haringey Council’s waste disposal service) will collect from us are:

  • Beds and bed frames
  • Bedside cabinets
  • Bookcases
  • Car batteries
  • Chairs
  • Computers/ PCs
  • Computer monitors
  • Cookers
  • Bicycles
  • Carpets
  • Dishwashers
  • Doors
  • Freezers
  • Microwaves
  • Mattresses
  • Ovens
  • Sofas
  • Tables
  • Tyres
  • TVs
  • Tumble driers
  • Vacuum cleaners
  • Wardrobes
  • Washing machines

If there is no bulky waste collection service on your estate, or you do not live on an estate, you can call Veolia Environmental Services on 020 8885 7700 to arrange to have your bulky waste collected. There is a £25 fee for the removal of up to four bulky items. More information is available on the council's bulky waste page.

Recycling bulky items

You can recycle some large items like tables and bookcases for free through organisations like Barnet Furniture Centre and Freecycle.

Specialist items

The following types of rubbish must not be disposed of through the estate waste collection:

  • We can arrange for the disposal of gas cylinders (empty) at no charge, but this has to be done separately – please phone or email us.
  • Building waste, scrap metal, wood, timber, hardcore, masonry, tiles, rubble, oil and paint cannot be disposed of through the estate waste collection service. These need to be taken to your nearest recycling centre.

Recycling centres (North London Waste Authority)

There are a number of other recycling centres that you can use for free in North London. Please see the NLWA Website for more information on recycling in North London.

Nearby recycling centres:

  • Western Road, Wood Green N22 6UG
  • Summers Lane, North Finchley, London N12 0RF
  • Regis Road, Kentish Town NW5 3EW
  • 40 Hornsey Street, Islington N7 8HU
  • South Access Road, Walthamstow E17 8AX

Asbestos, solvents and pesticides – the recycling centres cannot accept this type of waste. To arrange for a collection of these items please see the Corporation of London’s website ( or phone them on 020 7606 3030.


Page Last Updated:

30 January 2019