You are here

Anti-social behaviour

You are responsible for the behaviour of people living in or visiting your home. If anyone in your home causes alarm, distress, nuisance or annoyance to anyone in your neighbourhood or around your home.

ASB infographic

What is anti-social behaviour?

Anti-social behaviour comes in many different forms ranging from low level nuisance to serious harassment. All anti-social behaviour can damage people's quality of life and interfere with their ability to use and enjoy their home or community. This includes nuisance and harassment due to:

  • abuse because of colour, age, race, sexuality or disability
  • using the property for illegal or immoral purposes including prostitution
  • religious beliefs
  • pets (such as dog fouling, constant barking)
  • gardens (disputes or overgrown gardens)
  • vermin
  • vandalism
  • rubbish
  • graffiti on council property
  • children and youth
  • abandoned vehicles
  • disputes
  • dogs fouling
  • offensive phone calls
  • malicious letters
  • verbal abuse such as name calling
  • aggressive gestures
  • making false complaints
  • drug abuse
  • noise, banging doors, shouting, playing loud music
  • allowing family members to behave in an unruly manner
  • threats or acts of violence to others

Back to top

How are we tackling anti-social behaviour?

The Government has set up the Respect Standard which is a set of commitments around tackling anti-social behaviour. By signing up to the standard Homes for Haringey has made a public promise to tackle anti-social behaviour and its causes, and to help create a culture of respect in Haringey.

Homes for Haringey will be working with residents, the Anti-Social Behaviour Enforcement Team (ASB Team), the Police and other organisations to deliver the following six commitments:

  • making a clear commitment to the community so it is known that anti-social behaviour is taken seriously and the ways in which it will be tackled
  • involving residents in making decisions about how to tackle anti-social behaviour on a local and borough wide level
  • intervening early and dealing quickly with anti-social behaviour and trying to prevent it from occurring
  • making it as easy as possible to report and give evidence about anti-social behaviour and providing support to victims and witnesses throughout the process
  • understanding and effectively and quickly using the different ways to tackle anti-social behaviour
  • finding ways to tackle the causes of anti-social behaviour.

For more information, visit Haringey Council's pages on anti-social behaviour (external link)

Back to top

Reporting anti-social behaviour

If you have problems with your neighbours, it is often best to talk to them yourself if you can, and if it is safe to do so. If you can't or if this doesn't work, then you should report it:

Anyone living, working, studying or visiting the borough can make a report using the online form or

Call the Council's Anti-Social Behaviour Team on 020 8489 1335 (Opening hours - Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm) or

Call our Customer Contact Centre on 020 8489 5611.

If you feel you or someone else is in any danger call the police immediately on 999 or 112 if you're using a mobile.

When you report anti-social behaviour, we need to get as much detail as possible. Keep a record of incidents, include dates, times and whether there were any witnesses. You can get 'nuisance diaries from us or the Council's Anti-Social Behaviour Team. These can help provide us with the evidence we need to take action against anti-social tenants.

Back to top

How we deal with reports of anti-social behaviour

An officer from the ASB Team will contact you to arrange an interview. They aim to contact tenants in 24 hours and interview within five working days.

The officer will talk to you about how the problem can be dealt with. They will also discuss any concerns you have about the safety of you or your family. The ASB Team will take your report seriously, agree an action plan with you, setting out what the team can do to tackle the problem.

Where possible, the ASB Team will take legal action against the person carrying out serious acts of anti-social behaviour if there is sufficient evidence. Other cases may be referred to the Homes for Haringey's tenancy management staff for action.

The ASB Team works closely with agencies such as the police, the youth offending service and the education service to reduce the level of anti-social behaviour in the community. Some of these agencies can offer support to those involved in the anti-social behaviour. It is also possible to use an independent mediation service to resolve disputes in suitable cases.

If you continue to cause anti-social behaviour, the ASB Team will consider taking further action against you including:

  • acceptable behaviour contracts (ABCs): these contracts are a voluntary agreement between the person causing the anti-social behaviour, Homes for Haringey ASB Team, and the police. Breaking the contract can lead to the court making an anti-social behaviour order
  • parental guidance agreements (PGAs): these are similar to acceptable behaviour contracts but are used if the person causing the anti-social behaviour is aged under 10.
  • injunctions to prevent the behaviour: a court can award an injunction to stop someone committing harassment. If the harassment continues, that person could be sent to prison.
  • anti social behaviour orders (ASBOs): these court orders are to prevent anti-social behaviour. If someone breaks the terms of an order, they could be sent to prison
  • individual support orders: these are civil orders for 10 to 17 year olds which impose positive conditions designed to tackle the underlying causes of a young person's anti-social behaviour.
  • eviction: a court can award an outright possession order if a tenant has caused anti-social behaviour. This order allows the council to evict the tenant from the premises.

We or the ASB Team will take legal action against tenants who continue to commit anti-social behaviour or allow it to be carried out. If we take this action you risk losing your home.

Back to top

Noise nuisance

Noise nuisance is a very serious issue and we try to do everything we can to deal with noise problems that affect our residents. Haringey Council's Enforcement Response Team deals with noise nuisance on behalf of Homes for Haringey.

If it is safe and you are happy to do so, we advise that you speak to the person causing the noise first. If this does not work, you should report the problem to the enforcement response service. If you are still having problems with noise, speak to your tenancy management officer.

If you or someone in your household causes a disturbance or nuisance to your neighbours, we may take court proceedings against you and you could use your home.

If you are a victim of noise nuisance, contact the Enforcement Response Service:

During office hours: 020 8489 1335

Outside office hours: 020 8489 0000


The Enforcement Response Service will:

  • visit you if the noise is happening now
  • send a warning letter to the offender if they witness the noise
  • if they witness the noise again within six months, they can serve an abatement notice.

A noise abatement notice can:

  • demand that the nuisance must stop;
  • prevent the nuisance from happening again; and
  • fine the person £5,000 if they do not keep to the terms of the notice.

The notice will stay in force as long as the person lives in the council's accommodation.

To report an ongoing noise problem (but not noise that's happening now), report it online on the Council's website.

Find out more about noise nuisance on the Council's website (external link).

Back to top


Page Last Updated:

30 September 2021