You are here

Buying my council home

Most of the Council’s tenants have the right to buy their council home under the government’s Right to Buy scheme. This is the only way a tenant can do this. If you qualify, you have the option to buy your council home at a price lower than the market value. We manage this scheme in Haringey on behalf of Haringey Council.

If you are thinking of buying, you need to consider the following questions very carefully:

  • Who qualifies for the Right to Buy?
  • Can I afford to buy?
  • Where can I get more advice?
  • Alternative to the Right to Buy

Apart from the answers given in the web pages shown on the left hand side, you can also look at information provided by the government:

Applying for the Right to Buy

Before you apply you should look at the web pages on whether you are eligible and whether you can afford to buy.  Applying for the Right to Buy does not cost you anything. Download an application form from the GOV.UK website (external link) or you can complete it online and then print it off and sign it.

Once you have completed the form please return it to us by post to the following address:
Homes for Haringey
Home Sales Team
Level 2, 48 Station Road
London N22 7TY

Please note that our offices are not open to the public. You must post your completed application form to us. We will send you a letter within 5 working days to confirm that we have received it.  We cannot accept applications in person. Find out what you can expect from us in our Right to buy service standards (pdf).

We do not charge for processing your application. However you will have to pay the cost of applying for a mortgage and your solicitor’s fees.

It is a good idea before you apply to consider all the costs involved in buying your own home  You should see what sort of mortgage you will require. You can speak  to some high street lenders to find out what they advise – there is also quite a lot of information on the internet on this subject.

Getting advice

The Government has appointed a Right to Buy agent service. It provides free advice at any stage of the purchase, and will also help you avoid hidden fees which some independent financial advisers charge for their Right to Buy advice.

If you are a tenant and you want general advice on buying your council home, please contact the government’s Right to Buy agent:

Money Advice Service

The Money Advice Service offers free, impartial advice about money, including buying a home and taking out a mortgage.

Money Advice Service
Telephone: 0300 500 5000

Other help

Read the Right to Buy summary booklet and the Right to Buy guidance.

You can also get advice on Right to Buy from:


 Exclamation iconThere are private companies or people who may offer you help in buying your home. They generally do not give good advice. They will often charge you lots of money for things that we or the government provide free of charge. Or, they may overcharge you for other services, such as arranging your mortgage.

Sometimes companies or individuals offer tenants money for a deal where the company ends up owning the property. If you do this in order to buy your property, you will almost certainly have to repay your discount as soon as you buy it.

Tenants have become homeless after agreeing to deals like this. It is very important that you get independent legal advice from your own solicitor or the Citizens Advice Bureau, before you enter into any agreement of this kind.



Give us feedback with your contact details for a response. Please note: we review comments once a week. Service requests must be made to Customer Services.

Page Last Updated:

5 October 2017