You are here

Home improvements

Under the terms of your lease you can only carry out internal alterations or improvements to your home if you get written permission from us on behalf of Haringey Council. This is because the landlord has to protect the structure and safety of the building. We will only refuse permission if we have very good reasons for doing so.

Please note you may also need planning permission and/or building regulations approval. Check Haringey Council's website (external link) for further details on this.

It is in your best interest to discuss any home improvement plans with us before committing to the works, especially as solicitors will ask about landlord consents for any alterations you've done when you sell your leasehold property.

What types of work need landlord consent?

These are the main types of work for which you will have to obtain our permission:

  • Any addition or alteration to the structure of your flat
  • Any alteration to the outside of your flat including a new vent for your boiler or a satellite dish
  • Installation of new windows and exterior doors - see below
  • Removal of any internal walls
  • Alterations relating to the plumbing, gas and electricity resulting in changes to internal supply pipes and circuits
  • Individual gardens.

Please see our complete list of types of home improvements that require landlord permission for leaseholders. The table also lists related charges.

Please send your application to our Homes Sales team, Homes for Haringey, Level 2, 48 Station Road, London N22 7TY or email it to:

Important: If you carry out home improvements without getting landlord consent where necessary, you will be breaking the conditions of your lease. In this case, we have the right to ask you to re-instate your flat as it was before the works were carried out. Or we can arrange to do it ourselves and charge you the costs for this.

If, at any time, we have questions about the works you have carried out either with or without our consent, we have the right to enter and inspect the inside of your flat once we've given you notice.

Back to top

General works requirements

Please ensure the following when carrying out home improvement works:

  • Keep noise and dust to a minimum.
  • Don't store building materials or equipment in communal areas.
  • You can only carry out works between 8am and 6pm, Mondays to Fridays, and 8am to 1pm on Saturdays. Don't carry out works on Sundays.
  • Don't leave rubbish in communal areas, but make sure you dispose of it correctly in the available communal refuse bins. For more information on disposing of waste material, visit Haringey Council's website  (external link)

Any work that affects the structure or the outside of the building must be agreed in advance. Where such work can be agreed it must include full reinstatement or making good.

Back to top

Installing new windows and doors

If you want to install your own windows and doors you must first get our permission to do so. To get our consent you will need to:

  • Be able to install the windows and doors before our contractors start work on your building.
  • Obtain planning permission for the work from Haringey Council's Planning Department Please contact them before you do anything.
  • Employ a FENSA certified company to do the work.
  • Be up to date with your service charges.
  • Pay an administration fee of £201.

To find out if you can install your own windows and doors and to request an application pack, please email the Home Ownership team at:

Under the terms of your lease Homes for Haringey, acting on behalf of Haringey Council, is responsible for maintaining the outside of your building. This means we have to replace all the windows and doors in the building when it becomes necessary. Leaseholders have the option of taking responsibility for their windows and doors if we are not planning to do the work in the near future.

If we have plans to do the work, you will not be able to install your own windows and doors unless there is sufficient time for you to arrange everything in the list above before our contractors start work on site.

If we agree to give you permission to do the work yourself then we will agree that you do not have to pay towards the new windows and doors in the rest of the building, except for the shared (communal) areas.

What if I have already installed my own windows and doors?

If you have already installed your own windows and doors without permission, you must contact the Home Ownership team to apply for landlord consent. The application fee is £201.

You can also download a copy of our Windows Specification and Method Statement, which explain the standards of work and fittings that the FENSA certified company you choose will need to meet when fitting your windows and doors.

For full details, please download our Installing your own windows and doors leaflet - a guide for leaseholders (pdf).

Back to top



Give us feedback with your contact details for a response. Please note: we review comments once a week. Service requests must be made to Customer Services.

Page Last Updated:

6 October 2016