You are here

Leaseholder FAQs


1. My leasehold property

What are my responsibilities as a leaseholder?

Haringey Council, as your landlord, own the structure of the building for which you are the leaseholder. The council is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the exterior and communal areas. (Homes for Haringey manages these buildings on behalf of the council.) Under the terms of your lease you are generally responsible for the repair and maintenance of everything inside your home.

How do I request a repair?

Report a repair >

I want to make alterations to my property, what do I need to do?

Making alterations to your property >

What is a sinking fund?

On behalf of your landlord, we are responsible for maintaining your building. If your lease was granted on or after the 1 April 2013, you are required to make contributions to future works that will be undertaken. This will avoid you receiving a large invoice for the major works at some future stage and ensures the upkeep of the building, and therefore maintains its value. Your contributions are an investment to your property and potentially an asset should you decide to sell. 

When do I need to pay my sinking fund invoice?

We will send our annual invoice for the sinking fund in February each year. The invoice will however be dated 1 April. This invoice needs to be paid quarterly in advance, or in 12 instalments from April to March by direct debit.

Back to top

2. Making payments

I need to know the balance of my account?

Using SeeMyData you are able to view your account history online going back two years. Please use SeeMyData > and follow the instructions to set up an account.

Alternatively you can email the Recovery & Litigation Team at who will be happy to assist with this and any other questions relating to payment.

When do I need to pay my invoices for day to day and major works/decent homes invoices?

The terms of your lease state you need to make payment in advance, quarterly, for service charges on the following dates:

25 March, 24 June, 29 September and 25 December. As a concession however, the council allows you to pay your annual estimated service charge over 12 months by direct debit from April to March. Major works service charges can also be paid by instalment, the number of instalments will depend on the value of the invoice and whether you are living in the property or not.

How do I make a payment?

You can pay by any of the following methods. You must quote your 10-digit invoice number to make sure the payment goes to your account.  If you do not quote an invoice number it is likely the payment will go to a council holding account and your account will not be credited.  You are then likely to receive reminders for payment and possibly be subject to further recovery action.

Internet (debit or credit card)

  • This service is available 24 hours a day Pay your service charge >
  • Automated Telephone Payment Service (debit or credit card) This service is available 24 hours a day. Please telephone 0300 456 0520 and select option 7 to pay a Haringey leasehold invoice.
  • Directly via your bank to our bank account 73632113 sort code 20-98-47

Back to top

3. Billing/Service Issues

How do I know when my Section 20 invoice will be issued?

Generally, invoicing for any Section 20 proposed works will be issued when works commence on site but before completion. This provides the opportunity for the Project Team to ensure costings are as accurate as possible, as by this stage they will have greater knowledge of the specific work required and likely expense.

When can I expect to be invoiced throughout the year?

We will send our annual invoice for estimated day to day service charge in February each year. The invoice will however be dated 1 April. We will send you the final account (actual service charge) in September of each year.  We will also invoice you for major works and decent homes work quarterly. If you pay a sinking fund we will invoice you annually on 1 April.  

I want to rent out my property, what do I need to do?

You can complete the form on the following page Subletting your leasehold property >

Please return the form to the Leasehold Services team at the following email address:

My bill is too high, who can I speak with?

Please contact the Leasehold Services team through Ask the Leasehold Services team > to discuss the matter in more detail.

How do I complain about something I’m unhappy with?

Make a complaint >

I can't find the answer to my question here - I'd like to ask something specific

Ask the Leasehold Services team >

Back to top



Give us feedback with your contact details for a response. Please note: we review comments once a week. Service requests must be made to Customer Services.

Page Last Updated:

23 January 2020