You are here

Housing Advice

If you think you need to leave your home, try to get advice from Homes for Haringey before you leave. Not everyone leaving home due to violence is entitled to emergency accommodation.

If you are a Homes for Haringey tenant you can contact your Tenancy Management Officer to discuss the matter in confidence on 020 8489 5611.

If you are in temporary accommodation provided and managed by Haringey Council, you should contact your tenancy support manager. Please call 020 8489 1000 to be put through to them.

If you are a housing association tenant please contact your Housing Manager at your housing association.

If you do need to leave, it might be that you could stay with friends or relatives while you think about what to do next. If you are a woman leaving domestic abuse, you can try and find a place in a women's refuge. Hearthstone may be able to help you with this. Take some essentials with you such as a change of clothes, toiletries and any medication you need to take regularly. Try to bring important items such as your passport, bank and credit cards and mobile phone.

Do not make a decision to give up your home permanently until you have spoken to an adviser and considered all your options.

Use Shelter's directory (external link) to find a Shelter advice centre or Citizens Advice in your area.

Remaining in your home

If you do not want to leave your home, there are options available to minimise the risk to you. These include applying for Non-Molestation and Occupation Orders and the Sanctuary Scheme.

Get homelessness help from the council

You can apply to Homes for Haringey as a homeless person if you can't stay in your home. We will have a duty to assess the circumstances of your homelessness, identify what your housing and support needs are, and to work with you to try to prevent your homelessness or support you to find somewhere to live.

We will provide you with a ‘personal housing plan’ which will tell you what we can do to help you and what you can do to help yourself. This might include actions such as attending appointments with Hearthstone or engaging with organisations that can assist people experiencing domestic abuse.

Some people are entitled to emergency accommodation in order to assess whether there is a duty to find them somewhere to live and you will be asked to provide details of your situation. You may be asked for supporting evidence, which could include details and dates of incidents. In most cases we will initially offer you refuge accommodation as this provides you with a place of safety, security and support.

Help from social services

Some people experiencing domestic abuse may be entitled to help from the council's social services department. Social services might be able to help if you:

  • are elderly
  • have children living with you
  • are under the age of 18
  • have left care (or are about to do so)
  • are in poor health
  • have a physical or learning disability

Social services may be able to help by finding accommodation for you, paying for a deposit or providing financial support.

Refuges for women

Women experiencing domestic abuse may be offered accommodation in a women's refuge. Some refuges are specifically for women from certain backgrounds, such as Irish or Asian women. Staff at refuges can give you advice about your situation and discuss your options for move-on.

Contact the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247 for more information about refuges.

Refuges for men

If you are a man experiencing domestic abuse, you can contact the Men's Advice Line on 0808 801 0327. If you are in a same-sex relationship you can call the National LGBT Domestic Violence Helpline on 0800 999 5428.


Help for children and young people

If you or someone else in your family is being hurt at home, you may not be sure what you can do about it. Domestic abuse is not your fault and you won't get into trouble for telling someone about it. The first thing is to tell someone else about what is happening to you. You can tell a teacher, a neighbour, a friend or a friend's parent.

You can call Childline on 0800 1111 for free. They won't tell anyone else you are calling unless you are in immediate danger. They can tell you about places where you can get help. Find out more from The Hideout (external link) about children and young people and domestic abuse and violence.


Give us feedback with your contact details for a response. Please note: we review comments once a week. Service requests must be made to Customer Services.

Page Last Updated:

28 January 2020