You are here

Housing Assistance

If you are experiencing any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse (psychological, physical, sexual, financial or emotional) from a partner or family member we can support and assist you.

If you wish to seek some immediate advice our Hearthstone Centre is a specialist service you may wish to approach in the first instance for completely confidential support and assistance. They can be contacted on 020 8489 3411.

  • If you are a Homes for Haringey tenant and are experiencing abuse of any kind please contact your Tenancy Caseworker. You can speak to your Tenancy Caseworker in confidence and they will discuss the support and options available to you. Please call us on 020 8489 3858.
  • If you are living in temporary accommodation provided and managed by Homes for Haringey, you can contact your Housing Management Officer or Move On Officer. Please call 020 8489 4987 or if you prefer, email
  • If you are a Housing Association tenant, you can contact your Housing Manager at your housing association for more advice regarding their domestic abuse procedures and support available regarding your tenancy.

Use Shelter's directory (external link) to find a Shelter advice centre or Citizens Advice in your area.

Remaining in your home

If you do not want to leave your home, there are options available to minimise the risk to you and to support you to feel safe within your home environment. These options include being supported to apply for Non-Molestation and Occupation Orders and the Sanctuary Scheme.

For more information on the injunction process and legal options available to you please see info on the National Centre for Domestic Violence and Rights of Women websites. 

Sanctuary Scheme

The Sanctuary Scheme provides professionally installed security measures to help survivors feel safer in their homes.

How does it work?

Security features installed by approved contractors include:

  • Secured doors and windows
  • Locks and grilles
  • A new 'Sanctuary Door'

The Sanctuary Scheme installation works most effectively alongside a non-molestation order and/or occupation order. Advice on such measures can be obtained at Hearthstone, Haringey’s Domestic Violence Advice and Support Centre.

Who can access this scheme?

The scheme is open to all survivors of domestic violence, including council, Housing Association and private tenants but landlord consent is required.

Interested in finding out more?

Contact Hearthstone and ask for an appointment:

Get help if you face becoming homeless

You can apply to Homes Haringey as a homeless person if it is no longer safe for you to stay in your home. We will have a duty to:

  • assess the circumstances of your homelessness case
  • identify what your housing and support needs are
  • work with you to try to prevent your homelessness or support you to find somewhere safe to  live.

We will provide you with a ‘personal housing plan’. This will tell you what we can do to help you and how we can assist you to help yourself. This might include actions such as attending appointments with Hearthstone or engaging with organisations that can assist people experiencing domestic abuse.

We will offer you an appointment to speak to one of our Housing Needs Officers.  If you would prefer to talk to someone of the same gender, we can help with this too.  You can bring a friend or relative with you for support if you wish and we will work with you to explore your housing options so that you can make an informed decision about your future. We will often ask one of our colleagues from Hearthstone to join us for this meeting so that we are assured that the full range of support and options are discussed.  All of our staff will have benefitted from training on domestic abuse so you can be assured of a non-judgemental, supportive response.

Refuges for women

Women experiencing domestic abuse may be offered accommodation in a women's refuge. Some refuges are specifically for women from certain backgrounds, such as Irish or Asian women. Staff at refuges can give you advice about your situation and discuss your options for move-on.

Contact the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247 for more information about refuges.

Refuges for men

If you are a man experiencing domestic abuse, you can contact the RESPECT Men's Advice Line on 0808 801 0327. If you are in a same-sex relationship you can call the National LGBT Domestic Violence Helpline on 0800 999 5428.

Help for children and young people

If you or someone else in your family is being hurt at home, you may not be sure what you can do about it. Domestic abuse is not your fault and you won't get into trouble for telling someone about it. The first thing is to tell someone else about what is happening to you. You can tell a teacher, a neighbour, a friend or a friend's parent.

You can call Childline on 0800 1111 for free. They won't tell anyone else you are calling unless you are in immediate danger. They can tell you about places where you can get help. Find out more from The Hideout (external link) about children and young people and domestic abuse and violence.

Page Last Updated:

26 May 2021