You are here

WaterSure Plus

Households who are struggling with their bills may get help with their water bills as part of WaterSure Plus - a scheme run by Thames Water.

About WaterSure Plus

WaterSure Plus is available for all residential customers of Thames Water who meet their eligibility criteria, whether they have a water meter or not, and regardless of who sends you the bill.

If you are eligible, WaterSure Plus will reduce your water bill by half. Assuming your application is successful, you will get the discount from the date Thames Water receives your application and supporting documents, so send it to Thames Water straight away.

Back to top

How do I know if I'm eligible?

To be eligible, you have to meet these two conditions:

First condition:

Your water bill has to come to at least 3% of your overall net household income (what you earn after tax and National Insurance has been deducted) - this includes income of joint tenants and partners, and contributions from any other adult in your household. Benefits and other support you may be getting normally counts as income but not Housing Benefit, Council Tax reduction and disability benefits.

To work out our water bill as a percentage of your income, simply divide your bill by your income and multiply by 100. For example if your annual water bill is £350 and your net household  income is £11,000::

£350 / £11,000 x 100 = 3.18%.  So the income in this example qualifies for Water Sure Plus

You can use the table below as a guide to see if your bill amounts to 3% or more of your income:

Your annual net household incomeApproximate net weekly incomeEligible if your annual water bill is:
£5,000£96£150 or more
£7,500£144£225 or more
£10,000£192£300 or more
£12,500£240£375 or more
£15,000£288£450 or more

Second condition:

You must receive one of the following qualifying benefits:

  1. Housing Benefit
  2. Income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Income Support
  3. Income-based Job Seeker's Allowance
  4. Working Tax Credit
  5. Child Tax Credit (you must receive more than the family element)
  6. Pension Credit
  7. Universal Credit.


You have a gross household income of £16,105 or less and someone living in your property is 62 years of age or older, has parental responsibility for a child aged five years or younger or is registered disabled.

Back to top

How do I apply?

You can find out more information about how to apply on Thames Water's website (external link).

Please note that Thames Water will ask for proof of some items, and council tenants in Haringey can bring the original documents to their local Customer Service Centre to be copied and verified - Thames Water will then accept these copies.

Need help with the application form?

If you need help with completing the application form please contact our Financial Inclusion team on 020 8489 5611 or by email them at:

Once agreed, Thames Water will inform us and your water rates will be reduced by 50% for a  year. Then you will receive a letter telling you that your rent charge has been reduced.

Remember to tell Thames Water if you or your household’s financial circumstances change.


After a year Thames Water will write to you to renew your claim by completing a new application and providing documents showing who lives with you and your household income.

Back to top

How can I find out more?

For more information about WaterSure Plus, please contact Thames Water directly:

Back to top



Give us feedback with your contact details for a response. Please note: we review comments once a week. Service requests must be made to Customer Services.

Page Last Updated:

19 July 2018