You are here

Supported housing

Supported housing

Supported housing is a service providing sheltered and secure accommodation for older people (normally 55+) with support needs. 

About supported housing

Supported housing is specifically for older people and people with a disability so they can live independently with support. Haringey Council provides sheltered and good neighbour self-contained accommodation. These are mainly one-bedroom flats (but there are some bungalows, two-bedroom flats and studio flats), centrally heated with emergency alarm and most have secured entry-phone systems. Support and assistance are provided by Hub Co-ordinators and a team of Support and Wellbeing Officers to promote safe, independent living.

Sheltered or community good neighbour supported housing offers:

  • Independence - freedom to come and go as you please 
  • Your own self-contained accommodation 
  • An alarm system for help in an emergency 
  • Safe and secure surroundings, most with entry-phone systems  
  • Extra support as and when you need it 
  • Daily calls
  • Social activities with people of a similar age
  • Disabled access in most cases 

Sheltered housing

Homes for Haringey runs supported housing schemes across Haringey. Most tenants are aged 50 years old but we also have younger tenants with special support needs. Supported housing helps you lead a safe and independent life in your own home but offers support if necessary, either through the scheme support manager or through Haringey Council's Community Care Services. They may also refer you to other support organisations if necessary. 

All flats are self-contained and most have central heating (a small number have storage heaters). They also have a secure entry-phone system connected to the Safe and Sound community alarm system. This allows you to call for help at any time. You also have access to shared facilities such as a garden, a lounge for social activities and laundry facilities.

Community Good Neighbour schemes

Another type of supported housing is the community and good neighbour schemes located across the borough. These are for younger and more active older people. Properties include low-rise flats, self-contained flats or bungalows, with their own small garden or a shared garden. Homes are also connected to the Safe and Sound community alarm system.

For more information about supported housing schemes in Haringey, download the guide to supported housing in your chosen area on Haringey Council's website 

Back to top


Am I eligible for supported housing?

You can request an assessment to find out if you are eligible for supported housing. The request can be made by:

  • yourself 
  • a relative or friend 
  • a social worker or housing officer 
  • your GP or a health visitor 
  • your community centre or day centre 
  • nomination from other councils.

The assessment is about finding out if you are eligible for supported housing as age alone is not the only criteria. The assessment is a home-based service - that means someone from the Assessment and referral team will visit you. 

Back to top


How to request an assessment

To request an assessment form:

Your Housing Caseworker or Housing Liason Officer can also help you to request an assessment.

Please note that the service is for older people aged 50+ with support needs. Younger applicants with severe disability may be considered. If you own a home or have sufficient assets or money to buy suitable accommodation, you may not be eligible. 

Please note that this service does not provide emergency accommodation. If you are homeless, please contact:

Assessment and Referral Team
1st Floor, 48 Station Road
Wood Green, N22 7TY

Tel 020 8489 3432

Back to top


Are you an older person and want to move out of London?

Haringey is participating in the Housing Moves / Seaside & Country Homes scheme. The scheme helps older Homes for Haringey tenants to move out of London. It has over 3,200 homes (one- to two-bedroom flats and two-bedroom bungalows) along the southwest coast from Cornwall through to the countryside from Shropshire to Cambridgeshire, over to Norfolk and Lincolnshire in the east. Waiting times vary depending on which area you want to move to. We may be able to help with moving arrangements.

Find out if you are eligible and apply by:

If you live in a home with two or more bedrooms and you want to downsize, then you are given priority, and you will be eligible for a cash incentive from Haringey Council for freeing up your bigger council home. To be eligible, you must:

  • be fully retired from work
  • be at least 55 years old
  • be reasonably active

For further advice, please contact the Under Occupation Officer on 020 8489 4771. 

If you already live in supported housing, please contact your Housing Caseworker or Housing Liason Officer on 020 8489 5611 or email

Back to top


Safe and sound community alarm 

The safe and sound community alarm is available for older people living in council homes across Haringey. It's a 24-hour service for residents who are elderly, disabled or vulnerable, and may need help at short notice. Carers who are looking after a vulnerable tenant may also be able to receive this service.

The alarm system is a special machine which attaches to your phone and a pendant that you can wear. If you need help at any time, you simply press the button on your pendant, or machine, and a signal will be sent to our control room form where an officer can speak to you and get help immediately if necessary. 

There is normally a small weekly charge for this service but it may be for free if you are receiving benefits. Find out more about the safe and sound community alarm on Haringey Council's website 

Tel: 020 8489 2365
Write to: Safe and Sound, Woodside House, 294 High Road, Wood Green, London N22 4YX.


Page Last Updated:

29 January 2020