You are here

Complaints, suggestions and compliments

Woman looking out of window

We aim to provide a high-quality consistent service, but accept that from time to time things can go wrong

> If you would like to give us feedback, email us at


When things go wrong, we want to resolve them as quickly as possible. We also use this opportunity to identify any areas where our service can be improved.

Before making a formal complaint, we’d ask you to tell us about the problem so we can try to resolve it by contacting us on 020 8489 5611.

Our Feedback team will log your complaint, you will receive a written acknowledgement, reference number, a summary of the issues that we are investigating on your behalf and the name and contact details of the investigating officer.

To find out more about how our complaints process works view our Complaints Policy and Procedure

How to give us feedback

There are several ways for you to give us feedback:

  • Email us at:
  • Call us on 020 8489 5611 (lines are open Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays Fridays from 8am to 6pm, and on Wednesdays from 10am to 6pm)
  • Write to us at: FAO Feedback Team, 48 Station Road, London N22 7TY

Back to top

Our complaints process

If you are reporting something for the first time, such as a repair in your home or an estate cleaning issue and it’s the first time that you’re contacting us, we would treat this as a service request and not a complaint

We can deal with your complaint  in the following way:

Stage 1: Service investigation

  • We will investigate your complaint fully. This can take up to 10 working days and is overseen by a senior manager.
  • We will reply to your complaint in writing.
  • When you choose this type of complaint, we assume you want a thorough investigation and are prepared to wait for a properly considered response.

Stage 2: Independent review

If you are still not happy, you can contact Haringey Council's Corporate Feedback Team to say why. They will independently review how we have handled your complaint, and carry out an unbiased investigation.

Stage 3: Residents Complaint Panel

If you are not satisfied with our response at stage 2, you can ask for our Residents Complaint Panel to review the complaint.

The panel will review the investigation that was carried out and will decide if the investigation and results were fair.

The Social Housing Ombudsman

If you’re still not satisfied with our response, you can ask the Housing Ombudsman to investigate your complaint. You will usually need to have exhausted the internal complaints process before the Ombudsman can help.

The Housing Ombudsman can only consider complaints that have been referred by a 'designated person' (MP, councillor or recognised Residents Complaint  Panel), or by the tenant themselves if eight weeks have passed from the completion of our internal complaints process.

Housing Ombudsman Service
Exchange Tower
Harbour Exchange Square
E14 9GE

Tel: 0300 111 3000 (see call charges - lines are open Monday to Friday from 9.15am to 5.15pm)
Fax: 020 7831 1942

Back to top

Complaints we cannot deal with

There are some complaints that we cannot investigate. These are:

  • complaints about something that happened more than twelve months ago, unless it concerns delays by Homes for Haringey
  • complaints about something outside of our control (for example, we cannot deal with complaints about other organisations but may be able to give you advice on how to complain)
  • matters where a statutory appeal of tribunal has been established or special procedures are in place
  • a complaint about legal issues or liability claims that could be dealt with by legal proceedings or direct with insurers
  • an employee’s complaint about personnel matters including pay, pensions, disciplinary and grievance issues
  • a complaint that is more appropriate for our “Whistle Blowing” procedure. We will let you know if this is the case and, where possible, direct you to someone else who may be able to help. ( Whistleblowing Policy Nov 2019 )

Back to top

When not to use our Feedback Service

Before you give us feedback, please check that you are not using our Feedback Service for any of the following:

  • Are you complaining about another resident harassing you or causing a nuisance?
    To report anti-social behaviour call us on 020 8489 5611 or speak to a Customer Services Officer in person at your local Customer Services Centre.
    Other Haringey residents should call Haringey Council's Customer Services on 020 8489 1000.
    If you feel you are in any danger call the police immediately on 999 or 112 if you're using a mobile.

  • Are you complaining about a Homes for Haringey Board member? Contact our Governance team on 020 8489 3728 or email them at:
  • Are you complaining about an eviction decision? Then you should get independent legal advice from your local Citizens Advice Bureau or visit the Citizens Advice website.
  • Are you complaining about a Haringey Council service? You can report your issue to the relevant Council department on the Haringey Council website (external link).

Self Assessment 

The Housing Ombudsman Complaint Handling Code sets out a list of good practice that allows landlords to respond effectively and fairly to complaints. Our current performance against the code can be found in our Self-Assessment Form.

Back to top


We are committed to providing residents with the best possible service and encourage all our staff to exceed our customer expectations. Please tell us about your experience here.

Page Last Updated:

17 December 2021