All property owners including leaseholders are legally responsible for ensuring their gas fittings and appliances are safe and in good working order - you are advised to have everything checked annually by a Gas Safe registered installer. A major problem caused by defects is carbon monoxide poisoning, which can kill in less than two hours. It is a gas which has no smell or taste and is quite invisible, killing up to 50 people a year and causing hundreds of injuries.
If your gas appliance has not been checked for 12 months it may not only be unsafe but you will also be in breach of your lease. You must have it inspected and serviced annually by a Gas Safe registered installer, and be able to provide evidence that your gas appliances are in good and safe working order.
If you sublet (rent out) your property, then as the landlord, you have to comply with the statutory requirements of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998.
Find out more about your responsibilities with regards to gas safety.
If you sublet (rent out) your property, then as the landlord, you have to comply with the statutory requirements of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998. This means you must:
- Ensure that all gas appliances, installation pipework and flues for which you are responsible, are in a safe condition.
- Arrange for your gas appliances and flues to be checked for safety every 12 months.
- Ensure the work is carried out using a Gas Safe registered fitter by asking to see a current Gas Safe registration certificate or ringing the Gas Safe Register on 0800 408 5500.
- Keep a record of all safety checks carried out for at least 2 years after the safety check.
- Ensure your tenant receives a copy of the gas safety check record within 28 days of the inspection.
- Ensure any new tenant receives a copy of the current gas safety check record before they move in for the first time.
If you need further advice about gas safety issues ring the Health & Safety Executive Gas Safety Advice Line on 0800 300 363. More information is available on all gas safety issues from the Health and Safety Executive's website.
If you plan to install a new boiler, even if it is a like for like replacement, you must obtain Homes for Haringey's permission (on behalf of Haringey Couincil as the landlord) before you start work. Please send a copy of your proposal for the works for approval to us at:
Homes for Haringey, Home Ownership team, Level 8, Alexandra House, 10 Station Road, London N22 7TR. If you have any questions on this, please call us on 020 8489 3042.
Where a gas boiler is located on an internal wall, it may have a flue that runs through a space in a stud wall or in the ceiling void (the space beteen the ceiling and floor of the room above) in a purpose bult enclosure/duct. The gas engineer is legally required to inspect the whole of the flue to ensure that it is in good condition.
Where problems arise, the flue can become partially blocked which is likely to cause carbon monoxide to be produced. The Health and Safety Executive has said that inspection hatches must be fitted in all properties where the flue is ocncealed within voids and cannot be inspected.
If your boiler is located on or near an external wall (where the flue goes straight out through the wall), the above requirement does not apply.
Priority Services Register Scheme: Every gas and electricity supplier is obliged to provide the free services outlined under the Priority Services Register Scheme to residents who meet the eligibility criteria. For details visit Haringey Council's website.
Unsafe gas appliances produce a highly poisenous gas called carbon monoxide which kills quickly (within an hour). It has no smell at all. Small amounts can cause serious long-term health problems such as brain damage. The main symptoms to look out for are headaches, dizziness, nausea, and breathlessness.
Carbon monoxide symptoms are similar to flu, food poisoning, or simply tiredness. That's why it's quite common for people to mistake it for something else. Other signs are if your symptoms only occur at home and family members feel the same. If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, you should:
- Get fresh air immediately.
- Open doors and windows.
- Turn off gas appliances and leave the house.
- See your doctor immediately or go to hospital - let them know that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning. They can do a blook or breath test to check.
Signs of carbon monoxide in your appliances are as follows:
- The flame on your cooker should be crisp and blue. Lazy yellow or orange flames mean you need to get it checked
- Dark staining around or on appliances
- Pilot lights that frequently blow out
- Increased condensation inside windows.
The Health and Safety Executive strongly recommends you fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm in your home.Back to top
This page belongs to the following categories :
- Business > Health and safety