repairs, maintenance and major works - what you will find in this section

This section provides you with the basic information you need about repairs, maintenance and improvements for both your home and your estate.

We are continuing to improve our services and processes so that you can report a repair, and have it fixed with the minimum of inconvenience. Now, using our new online service, you can report and check up on repair progress with just a few clicks of your mouse. You can also search online for works happening where you live.

Find out who to contact in an emergency or a non-emergency, who is responsible for a repair or improvement, and how we will behave when working in your home. You can see the subjects covered in this section by looking at the menu to the left.

If the information here doesn’t answer your specific questions take a look in your Repairs Handbook Adobe PDF or your local Customer Services Centre may be able to help.

Please note that we can carry out repairs until 8pm weekdays and also on Saturday mornings provided the repairs job can be done within an hour, doesn't cause excessive noise or doesn't require extra safety measures such as for roofing repairs, for example.

Find my local Customer Services Centre

Homes for Haringey call centre

In April 2008 we launched our call centre to deal with repairs. Specialist repairs staff are on hand at the call centre to help diagnose your fault correctly first time.

You can report a non-emergency repair at any time, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on our repairs numbers:

Freephone: 0800 195 3404 (freephone if you call from a landline)

Phone: 020 8489 5611 (cheaper if you call from a mobile)

If you report a non-emergency repair after 6pm or at weekends, we will take details of the repairs issue and one of our officers will get in touch with you the next working day.

You can report an emergency repair to our call centre at any time, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including all bank holidays, on our repairs numbers

Building trades apprenticeships

Homes for Haringey’s in-house repairs team employs over 250 staff including approximately 200 trades people and officers. Almost 50, who are now fully qualified, started their careers as Haringey apprentices. The apprenticeship scheme started in the mid seventies. The trades covered are bricklaying, carpentry, electrical, plastering and plumbing.

Find out more or email our Learning & Development team.


This page belongs to the following categories :
- Housing
- Housing > Housing improvement and repairs
- Housing > Housing improvement and repairs > Council housing repairs